Sunday, September 22, 2013

Peel off Facial Mask Recipe


Have you ever used those peel off nose and chin strips? The ones that Biore sells? They are a pricey little facial care item.

I remember trying to come up with something similar years ago, but didn't have any luck. I even tried white glue, but it didn't work that well.

I recently saw a whole bunch of "recipes" for a peel off mask...one that actually works!

1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon milk

I had some gelatin on hand, so tried it.

It works!

BUT...it smells hideous...like, GAG ME hideous.

I perused the posts in search of something to make it nicer. Some mentioned using "essential oils" and "tea tree oil" as helpful.

I didn't have any of that, but I do have some MINT extract.

So, I added a few drops of MINT EXTRACT to the mix.

Ahhhh...lovely! It makes the mask feel rather "zingy" and it smells nice, too.

To make this, I use a small plastic bowl. I put the gelatin, milk, and extract in the bowl and mix it with a spatula. Next I zap it for 10 seconds in the microwave and then take it out and swirl it around to mix it.

I zap and swirl three times.

It's going to be HOT and it should look kind of like yellow-ish Cream of Wheat.

Standing before a mirror, I use my fingertip to apply it to my nose and chin. It's drippy, so be aware.

DO NOT GET in your EYEBROWS or HAIR. A young friend put it ALL OVER her face. Ouchie! It will pull hairs OUT!

Once I get my nose and chin covered, I let it set for just a moment and then I apply another coat. The reason I put TWO coats is so that it's thick enough to peel. One THIN coat tends to come off in little shreds. Two coats peels off nicely.

I get my kindle and read for about 20 minutes until the mask is good and dry.

You'll know it's dry enough when you smile and you feel it cracking. Yes, fun stuff!

Then comes the fun part! Peeling it off!

Once you've peeled it off (and looked at the little forest of ICK that comes out of your skin) you should rinse with cool water to get any remainder off.

Your skin will feel smooth and look so nice!

Now, I've read where some people put this over active acne. I'm not sure that I'd do that. It's one thing to pull out blackheads, but an active acne outbreak might not take well to this treatment.

If you have lots of the mix left, leave it to dry and then a couple days later you can add a few drops of water and reheat it in the microwave. We tried that it and it worked fine.

I read that you can use any kind of milk, including almond milk.

I want to find some lavender oil. I bet that would make this even nicer than the mint!
 
This gets a FOUR OUT OF FOUR from us.
(Hubs declined to try it)
 

Side note: Amanda likes to do zombie makeup. This stuff makes the best scars! She built it up on her forearm, added some acrylic paint...and voila! ZOMBIE BITES!



Side note #2: You know those itty bitty splinters that you just can't catch with tweezers? If you put a couple coats of this on the area where the splinter is, let it dry, then pull it off, you can usually get the splinter out.

Side note #3: I saw that you can use flavored JELLO...but the color may leech into your face! So, unless you really want to be Strawberry or Lime colored, I'm not sure that I'd do that!

3 comments:

  1. Haven't seen this mask recipe before but I'll definitely give it a try. The fact that you need 2-3 ingredients that are pretty mild tells me that, other than some peach fuzz possibly getting pulled, it'll be rather gentle on the skin. Thanks for sharing! -Lori @ Adera Skin and Laser

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening, Lori, I had seen this one on the internet several times. Kept hearing how bad it smelled, and it's true! The only way we can use it is to add the mint extract, but I really want to find some lavendar oil. You are very right, the "peach fuzz' goes with the mask! Hope you like the way it works.

      Delete
  2. Gelatin? I have never heard of that before. Although, if you say it works, then it might. I do have some concerns though, especially as some gelatins are ready-made and are artificial. Those might cause unwanted skin reactions for others who have sensitive skin. I think it is still better to consult a dermatologist before doing so.
    Lilia Valle

    ReplyDelete