Saturday, July 27, 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle

Our family loves chocolate chip cookies. It's probably the first recipe that my children ever really helped me with. And who can blame them? They snuck chocolate chips as we mixed and spooned the dough out.

With all the White Texas Sheet Cake, Meringues, and BREAD that I've been making lately, hubs has felt like we've been missing out on one of the main food groups: CHOCOLATE.

So today I'm giving CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE BRITTLE a shot. I was surprised at how easy the recipe was. No eggs, either! I was surprised that there wasn't any brown sugar, but then decided that when I make it again I'll substitute BROWN SUGAR for the white. Yep,  haven't met a recipe that I can't tweak!

Now, Nestle has a recipe for this one. You can find it here.  I've omitted the nuts (see? TWEAKING!) because I'm the only one in the family that really likes nuts in anything besides Baklava. You could add nuts if you like. You could also use any flavor of chips you prefer, or you could mix them up! This is easy...and fun.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15x9 cookie sheet with parchment paper.

1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sugar (I'm using BROWN next time!)
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (I think that I'd use mini choc chips next time)
 

Mix the butter and vanilla
Add in the flour, sugar, salt and chocolate chips, using your hands, until combined 
 
The dough is pretty dry and crumbly
 
Place the dough onto lined cookie sheet
 
Using your hands, press it into a thin layer (I read one recipe that said to press it BETWEEN two sheets of parchment paper, and ROLL it thin. I'll be doing THAT next time)
 
The thinner you press it, the more brittle like it will be  
 
Bake for 20 minutes; check it at 15, see if the edges are lightly brown and center is set. You don't want to overcook it, although I'm quite fond of really DARK cookies. The rest of the family prefers them to be less crunchy.
 
 
Cool completely
 
Break into pieces to serve and enjoy!

 
Family Rating:
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment