Monday, July 29, 2013

Eggs



We have a small flock of chickens. I sell a couple dozen eggs a week. And we eat eggs all the time. We use them in baking, potato salad, fried for sandwiches, and hard boiled. We feed the goldfish in the koi pond a yolk every month. The dogs get them, too.

One thing about a fresh egg, as opposed to the ones you get from the store which may be up to three months old, it is almost impossible to peel a hard-boiled FRESH egg. At least that's what I always thought. I mentioned this to one of my elderly egg buyers. She scoffed and said, "Of course you can peel a fresh egg! You just have to crack it first. My Grammy taught me that trick."

Crack it? I was sure she was nuts, but being a home school family, we followed her directions, and sure enough...you CAN peel a fresh, hard-boiled egg!

The secret is cracking the egg on the large end. You just tap it on the counter until you hear the CRACK. Don't do it hard enough to smash it, just enough to crack it. The large end is where the little air pocket is.

I asked Annie if the white would ooze out. I hate it when it does that...shudder. She assured me that it wouldn't.

The home school students immediately cracked several eggs...lightly...and placed them in the pot of cold water. We watched over the pot as it came to a boil, waiting to see if the white would ooze. Nope, not a bit of it came out.

We boiled the eggs for 11 minutes, then rinsed them in cold water. We each took an egg and cracked it all over.

THEY PEELED LIKE MONTH OLD EGGS!

We were VERY impressed. I was so impressed that I gave Annie three dozen eggs for FREE the next time she came by.

Caveat: We have one hen whose egg just won't peel nicely, though. Not sure who she is, but one brown egg still doesn't peel well. But all the rest, little white bantam eggs, green Americana Arucaunas, and the other brown eggs all peel very neatly and easily.

I used an egg wedger for years. I got it in Germany and the girls and I enjoyed making egg wedges with it. It finally broke a couple of months ago. Hubs, being the great guy that he is, found a slicer/wedger and ordered it for me. I love it!


Here's a link if you want one for yourself - Egg Slicer Wedger Piercer.


The Egg Skelter

This is another nifty thing that Hubs got me for Christmas this year. It keeps our eggs in order of lay. You just take the one off the end (in this case, that big green one) and the rest roll down. I love it! It holds two dozen eggs. The only drawback is that the bantam eggs don't work on there. They are smaller than the others and will "clog" the roll...so they go in a bowl beside this wonderful gadget.

4 comments:

  1. I've always peeled hardboiled eggs starting from the larger end. I didn't know it was a secret. lol To ME the secret is getting under the amniotic skin. Then it's easy to peel an egg.

    I miss raising chickens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but a FRESH egg is hard to peel unless you crack the round end BEFORE you boil it. No matter WHERE you start peeling...they end up looking mangled and you lose so much of the white. Cracking the round end before boiling makes it much easier.

      YOu should start raising them AGAIN...most cities allow you up to THREE hens...! Well, at least Seattle does!

      Delete
  2. I wish I was close enough by to buy eggs from you guys weekly! We get them at the farmers market sometimes and now I'll know how to peel them. I LOVE hardboiled eggs and eat them often.
    (and months old??? I knew they weren't fresh but wow! I didn't know they could be that old)
    ~Becca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'd GIVE you eggs! Eggs for the Edgers! We really were amazed at how well this system works.

      Delete