Thursday, August 1, 2013

King Hawaiian Bread

 
Although I've owned a bread machine for something like fifteen years, it's been living in a cabinet in my garage for about fourteen of those years. I've moved it from Germany to Oklahoma, to Florida, and then to two more houses in Oklahoma.

A recipe for King Hawaiian Bread, made in a machine, caught my attention recently and I pulled the dusty machine out. Got it all cleaned up...and made bread. That was about twelve loaves ago!

There really is nothing like the smell and taste of fresh, hot bread.

The recipes that I saw for KHB were all white and I wanted to give ours a bit more "food value" so I (say it with me) tweaked the recipe.

King Hawaiian Bread

1 cup warm water
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk (you can use low or no fat, but I use the REAL stuff)
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups white flour (I use unbleached)
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

I put the wet ingredients in my bread machine first
Next I put the flours
Last, make a dimple with your finger in the flour and put your yeast there

Because we can't wait, I use the "rapid rise" setting on my Hitachi Bread Machine and in 2 hours and 50 minutes we have a fluffy, yummy loaf of bread.

To cut it in manageable pieces, I lay it on it's side and cut it in half. Then I start cutting at a corner and make slices. Yes, this won't make nice even pieces for sandwiches, but we don't mind eating odd shaped ones!



The family rating for this is...
 
FIVE OUT OF FIVE!

I'll be posting my Whole Wheat Molasses Oat Bread in the next day or so. It's yummy, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment