Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Molasses Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread

My first recent attempt at bread in the machine was the King Hawaiian Bread. It turned out great but I wanted something more "food" like. Something a bit more robust. Maybe with a bit of fiber, too. Hubs has been reading about quinoa flour. Quinoa is pronounced "kinwa." It adds protein to your baking. It's a bit pricey, but we thought we'd give it a try. Let me state for the record that we'll never be using this in any large amount. The aroma and flavor is something like peas, mixed with RAW garbonzos, with a slice of something, grass, maybe? and it's not my idea of yummy. BUT...I feel all healthy-ish when I add a scant 1/4 cup to this bread recipe. The molasses and oats override the flavor. I wouldn't use it in the KHB, though. That flavor is quickly overwhelmed by the quinoa.

I'll say it now, the whole family LOVES this bread.


Molasses Oatmeal Whole Wheat Bread

2 cups of flour (I use all purpose, unbleached flour and never have a problem, but some swear by BREAD flour)
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of quinoa flour (if you choose NOT to use this, just up the whole wheat flour by 1/4 cup)
1 package of yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons of the loose variety)
1 cup warm water
1/2 cup quick oats
1/4 cup molasses
3 tablespoons of butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg

I add all of the wet ingredients first (water, molasses, butter, egg). Next, I add the dry ingredients and then I press a dimple into the flour with my finger. This is where you place the yeast.

If we want the bread during the day, I use the rapid setting on the bread machine and we have bread in 2 hours and 50 minutes. I've also set this to be ready at 5:30 in the morning. Some worry about the egg sitting in the machine for that long, but I've never had an issue with it.


Since my loaves tend to be tall, I cut them in half, then cut starting at the corner. Makes for even, although not equal, slices.  This is particularly good toasted.
After we slice it, we store it in the refrigerator in a zip-lock bag. With no preservatives, this will mold on the counter...if it lasts that long! 

Yes, the family rating for this is:


No comments:

Post a Comment