Saturday, August 3, 2013

Roasted Veggies

At one of the Chinese restaurants that our family likes to visit, they have these green beans that are heavenly. Kind of crispy and roasted, with some garlic bits stuck to them.

A google search and I had the basics of making some of my own. When I shared a post on Facebook that a friend had posted, I was told that ANY veggie can be roasted. You know I had to try it.

I've roasted fresh green beans twice and frozen ones twice. And they all disappeared quickly.

Today I'm trying frozen broccoli and a yellow squash. It smells so good! This is going to be one of those recipes where nothing is set in stone...or measured out exactly.



Roasted Veggies

A bag of frozen broccoli (or a stalk of fresh, cut into pieces)
One medium yellow squash (or a zucchini!) sliced thin

In a bowl mix together about 1/4 cup olive oil and a heaping tablespoon of minced garlic (and I did use a TABLE spoon, not a measuring spoon. You can add more or less garlic to taste. We LOVE garlic, so the more, the better)
Put a couple "grinds" of sea salt and fresh pepper (I have a salt grinder AND a pepper grinder)

Toss the veggies in the oil mixture and spread on a cookie sheet
Sprinkle with "some" Parmesan cheese, use your best judgement about how much ;)

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes
Stir the veggies around at 15 minutes


Now, you can use ONE kind of veggie or mix and match. I've used fresh green beans and also a bag of frozen. It was all good. This combo (the broccoli and yellow squash) was quite lovely.

My best guess is that if you use FRESH brocoli, the pieces would be more "crunchy." But I have to say, this with the fresh squash and frozen brocoli was really tasty.










The Family gives this
FIVE out of FIVE!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot that another friend of mine also roasts frozen veggies like butternut squash and others and says they are delish but I don't know about the crunch factor. I love crunch!

    ReplyDelete