Saturday, August 17, 2013

Creamy Shrimp Stir Fry

A couple years ago I was handed a really good coupon for a Philadelphia Cream Cheese cooking sauce. I made a shrimp dish with it. It was yummy. BUT, the prepared sauce base is kind of pricey. So, of course, I tweaked around and came up with my own version of it. As always, if there are some ingredients that you or your family won't eat, substitution is allowed...and encouraged!
 
Bethany helped me make this today.



Creamy Shrimp Stir Fry

splash of olive oil
4 tablespoons Smart Start or Butter
2-3 small fresh yellow squash (sliced) or one package frozen (thawed)
2-3 smallish zucchini (sliced)
2-3 red or orange bell peppers, chopped
12 ounce bag frozen shrimp (thawed)
8 ounce Philadelphia Cream cheese (we use the LIGHT)
1-2 tablespoons minced garlic to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 package egg noodles cooked according to package

Heat a good splash of olive oil in a deep frying pan. Mine sort of looks like a Wok.
Saute your zucchini, squash, garlic and chopped peppers in the oil.
Add the butter and let it continue cooking until the veggies are done enough for your family.
Turn the heat down to medium and add the shrimp and cream cheese.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir to combine.
DO NOT LET THIS BOIL. Boiling cheese products tends to make them separate and it is very unappetizing.

Serve over egg noodles or rice.

Options:

Use all squash or all zucchini (today's picture is all squash)
Use assorted colors of bell peppers
Use chicken (cooked) instead of shrimp
All of your veggies can be fresh, or they can be frozen



My family loves this.
It is a FIVE out of FIVE from us:

2 comments:

  1. I love your recipes. I will spend my time to always check your blog for more Recipes For Stir Fry. Anyway, I'm looking for a recipe that I can prepare for our dinner tonight and I think this is the perfect one. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete