Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Microwave Caramel Corn

Fifteen years ago a lovely friend, Debbie Burgett, gave me a recipe for Microwave Caramel Corn. This stuff is heavenly! It was medicinal during some edits that I've done. Got me through them. I'd edit a couple pages, grab a handful of this, pace around the house...then get back to editing. Yep, medicinal!

This is the closest thing to Cracker Jacks that I've ever seen. I think it's the baking soda that makes the kernels separate.



Debbie Burgett's Microwave Caramel Corn

2 bags microwave popcorn (we use the air popper and guesstimate amounts)
1 1/2 cups of peanuts (optional)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt (we don't add this)
1/2 tsp baking soda
 
Pop corn and place half in a large brown paper bag
 
Combine butter, sugar, syrup and salt in a large microwaveable bowl
Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring after each minute
 
Once it comes to a boil, microwave for two more minutes
 
Remove from microwave and stir in baking soda
 
Pour half of the mixture over the popcorn in the bag
 
Put the rest of the popcorn in the bag and cover with the remaining mixture
 
Close bag and SHAKE WELL
 
Microwave for 45 seconds and SHAKE again
 
Microwave for 45 seconds and SHAKE again
 
Microwave for 45 seconds and SHAKE again
 
Pour into a roasting pan
 
Cool and stir to separate kernels
 
YUMMY!
 
WARNING: The butter, sugar, and syrup mixture is VERY HOT. BE CAREFUL when pouring it over the popped corn. I try to make sure that I don't get any on the SIDES of the bag. It's never happened, but I worry about the bag catching fire. Nope, hasn't happened, but I worry anyway.
 
Options:
 
Add cereal to the popcorn. Quaker Oat Squares are a yummy alternative.
MIXED nuts makes a fun crunch.
 
HALF this recipe is more than enough for two hungry people.


No comments:

Post a Comment