Friday, August 23, 2013

Pork Chops and Beans

This is one of my husband's favorite meals.

This is also one of those recipes that I've tweaked practically every time I've made it. You can tweak it to suit your family, too. For instance, if you aren't fond of pork chops, you can use chicken (legs, thighs, tenders, etc.). If you don't like kidney beans, then just use all Ranch Style Pintos. Totally up to you.

Pork Chops and Beans


Splash olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
6 pork chops
3 cans Ranch Style Pinto Beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 small can mild chopped green chilies
1 can chicken broth
1 cup barbecue sauce (I use whatever kind happens to be open in the fridge)
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1-2 tablespoons minced garlic (why yes, I do buy the large economy sized jars!)
salt and pepper to taste (we use Montreal Steak Seasoning)

I use a large electric skillet to prepare this meal

Heat oil in skillet
Brown onions and pork chops
Mix the mustard, barbecue sauce, broth, minced garlic, and chiles with two cans of the beans and pour over the chops in the skillet
Add the remaining cans of beans and stir to mix
Let simmer until the pork is tender and done, about 45 minutes
Stir occasionally to avoid sticking
Serve with a nice green salad

You can mix and match beans, but I'd use at least two cans of the Ranch Style Pintos.
Omit the chiles if the family doesn't like them.



I'm going to give it a rating of FIVE, but have to confess that two of the children will only eat the beans and one will only eat the pork! So that evens out to FIVE, right?

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy and I'm a huge fan of "one pot" meals! I'm definitely making this. Maybe Wed, I'll let you know :)
    One question, what does "prepared mustard" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bells! Prepared mustard is that squeeze bottle in your refrigerator. As opposed to the dry stuff in a spice can in your cupboard.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete